A Limited-Time Event
Debuting in the Untold Naraka patch in early July 2022, the NieR: Automata characters make up a potent Physical team. If you have ever played NieR: Automata, you'll notice the care and attention to detail that was put into making 2B, 9S, and A2 feel natural in Punishing: Gray Raven. Sprinting, PODs, even the hacking minigame — it's all here. The PGR devs are fans of NieR, which is why the NieR team goes far and beyond the typical collab and really shines.
Due to their nature as collab characters, 2B, 9S, and A2 — as well as their weapons — are available for a limited time only. If it follows the pattern of the CN release, they can only be obtained during Untold Naraka or during a ONE-TIME re-run.
Frequently Asked Questions
The gameplay style of the NieR team is a little different than most. Each character's skills and weapons are loaded with extra effects on top of their Rank passive abilities. This team can do a lot with very little, and the more you invest, the more you get out of them.
Why is A2's Signature Weapon so important?
- Leader Bonus Effect is doubled. A2 can enter Berserk Mode with 40% POD: Shield gauge, as well as gaining 10% Attack DMG increase. Press and hold the Basic Attack button within 2s of dodging to unleash an empowered attack, dealing 370% Physical DMG. Press the button again to unleash a follow-up attack, dealing 720% Physical DMG (DMG is scaled with Basic Attack skill level). All Yellow Orbs will be consumed to charge the lance, with each Yellow Orb dealing 100% Physical DMG (Up to 300%), and granting 3% POD: Shield. Consuming any amount of Yellow Orb for the charge grants an increased 10% Physical DMG for 15s.
One of its many effects is that it allows A2 to do a charged multi-hit attack after every dodge that can also increase her shield gauge; simply hold down the basic attack button after dodging. Better yet, each hit counts as a basic attack and therefore generates Orbs.
What makes A2 so good?
- All of the NieR characters can sprint at any time continuously for no cost, just like in NieR: Automata
- A2 also has a glide that lasts a few seconds (activated by holding down the dodge button) which pulls groups of enemies in behind her, charging her Shield gauge at the same time
An Amazing Blue Orb Skill
- Her Blue Orb skill is a ranged attack that pulls enemies into its center from quite far away
- A2 automatically uses a 3-Ping version of this attack upon switch-in
- At SSS-Rank, her Blue Orb not only sucks enemies in, it also stuns them for a few seconds
Her Signature Move lets her enter Berserk Mode
- Berserk Mode is similar to Kamui: Tenebrion's Dark Form in that it lasts even when A2 switches with another character
- This grants her Super Armor, which prevents her from being stunned
- Berserk Mode consumes her Shield, but the Shield can be restored either through her glide or through the use of 3-Ping attacks
- Because it's easy to maintain her Shield, A2 can endure a lot of damage
- In Berserk Mode, each 3-Ping also causes POD to fire off missiles which inflict 20% Physical DEF down on enemies; with the full NieR team, this effect is doubled to 40%, even at S-Rank
- At SSS-Rank, the base Physical DEF down inflicted by POD is 40%, and with the full NieR team, this is doubled to 80%
- The last 20% Physical DEF down needed to achieve a full 100% can be gained from Catherine
- At SS-Rank, POD will shoot missiles every 4 seconds as long as her Berserk Mode is active, even when A2 is off-field, as long as she went into Berserk Mode before you swap characters (Note: Berserk Mode can turn off even when she is off-field once her shield gauge is empty, so it is best to swap her out when the gauge is high)
- In other words, at SSS-Rank, you can achieve 100% uptime on a 100% Physical DEF down debuff
What does 2B do?
- All of 2B's Orb attacks grant her super armor
- At SS-Rank, she gains the following passive: When 2B, 9S or A2 activates Signature Move, 9S and A2's Critical Rate increases by 10% and 2B's Critical Rate increases by 25% for 12 seconds
- This 25% increase in CRIT is added to 2B's Signature Move the moment she uses it, turning her Signature Move into a nuke
- Striking enemies with her Yellow Orb will reduce their ATK by 60% for 12 seconds
- 2B automatically uses a 3-Ping version of this attack upon switch-in
- When she enters her Core Passive, 2B's basic attacks, Yellow Orb skills, and Red Orb skills gain sword waves
Why is 9S significant?
- 9S does not need to generate Orbs by attacking; he gets them passively over time
- Each time 9S activates his Core Passive, he reduces his own next swap cooldown by 1 second, up to a total of 4 seconds
- His SS-Rank passive allows his Blue Orb skill and QTE to give a Physical DMG increase of 10% for 8 seconds to 2B and A2
- SSS-Rank further increases this to 20% for 12 seconds, as well as giving him even faster Signal Orb generation
What does an average battle using the NieR team look like?
- You will be constantly swapping between characters
- Lead with A2
- Have A2 enter Berserk Mode as soon as possible
- Switch to 9S and use all of his Orbs and Core Passive
- Switch to 2B and use all of her Orbs (and Signature Move if applicable for SS-Rank 2B's effect to trigger)
- Switch back into A2, who will still be in Berserk Mode if she was in it when swapped out
To figure out which style works best for you, check out "What is the bare minimum requirement to make the NieR team powerful?" under the Meta Analysis tab.
This section features miscellaneous elements of the NieR event specifically. DISCLAIMER: The Global version may receive changes to the event that make it completely different, so please keep that in mind.
What differences are there between the initial run and the re-run?
- In Untold Naraka, 2B will be added about halfway through the event, but in the re-run, she will be added to the gacha pool immediately
- The pity carries over between Untold Naraka and the re-run
- The story will need to be replayed during the re-run and timegates will still be present
- In the event shop, A2's Shards and coating will be replaced with Basic Construct R&D Tickets
- In the re-run, all characters must be acquired via gacha and all coatings must be bought with RC
Please note that the pity from the NieR banner in Untold Naraka carries over to the pity from the same banner in the re-run.
Will Global get the NieR re-run?
- The CN version got the NieR re-run during Evernight Beat
- The TW version got the NieR re-run earlier during Inscription of Labyrinth due to controversy
Regardless of when the re-run falls, it will occur right before a major character drops: either Vera: Flare or Liv: Solaeter. Knowing these characters will be on the horizon at that point may affect your pull plans.
More than likely, Global will get the re-run several months after Untold Naraka. We should have a more concrete idea of when the re-run will occur when the JP version gets theirs. See Patches for a list of estimated patch release dates.
How does the free Shard system work? Does it return in the re-run?
- When you evolve a NieR character to SS-Rank, you receive a bonus of 30 Shards for that character
- When evolving a NieR character to SSS-Rank, you receive a bonus of 60 Shards for that character
- Pulling a single NieR character from gacha rewards you with 30 additional bonus Shards
- This works up to three times for each NieR character
What kind of Tickets are used to pull NieR characters via gacha?
What kind of Tickets are used to pull NieR weapons via gacha?
- Like all other 6★ weapons, the targeted NieR weapon has an 80% chance of being the weapon you pity
- However, the other two possible 6★ weapons on each NieR weapon banner belong to the other two NieR characters, meaning you are guaranteed a 6★ NieR weapon at pity, even if it is not your targeted one
Why does it cost less BC to pull for NieR characters than other characters?
Note: This bonus does NOT apply to NieR weapons.
This also occurs during the re-run, and the pity count carries over from Untold Naraka as well.
What will happen with leftover NieR Tickets after the event?
How do I obtain each character's weapon?
- 5★ NieR weapons are automatically obtained once you acquire the relevant character
- 6★ NieR weapons are obtained via gacha, but only during Untold Naraka and the re-run patch
What special packs are available to purchase for RC in the Shop?
If you are a true Free-to-Play player, you may have seen an upcoming patch that contains three S-Rank characters preceded by a different S-Rank character and started to worry. While all three NieR characters are S-Rank, they do not come with an S-Rank price tag.
Are 2B, 9S, and A2 free?
- 9S is free from an event login reward
- A2 is free, but must be farmed and claimed before the event shop closes
- 2B can only be acquired through gacha, but isn't available until the second half of the event
- All characters must be obtained via gacha
Worth noting is that the currency used to get the free A2 copy is also used for materials and her own coating, which returns later on in the re-run, but costs RC.
I'm F2P — Is the NieR Team worth it at S-Rank?
- Base S-Rank NieR team with 5★ weapons is stronger or at least just as formidable as any base S-Rank team of the same level/investment
- They will all come with their 5★ weapons upon acquisition
- The total price of all three S-Rank NieR characters is only 10,500 BC even if you hit pity for 2B, as long as you earn 9S and A2 for free during Untold Naraka
- A very solid team for new players
- 2B is extremely necessary for the other two to be good, so please think of her as a must-have for the team
- Since she is only available for a limited time, pulling 2B is recommended for collection purposes (and to empower the rest of the team)
- Long-term F2P players are more likely to have enough BC to get A2's 6★ weapon
- The NieR team remains a strong pick in Physical War Zone, Babel Tower, and Norman War even after the arrival of future characters and various reworks
- This team remains great for casual players because A2 is so powerful and difficult to kill
- In PGR, the more teams you have for Babel Tower and other content, the better
Don't count them out for being S-Rank. There are no useless S-Rank characters.
Since I'm F2P, should I skip any characters to obtain 2B?
It is worth noting that while every other character will be obtainable in PGR forever, the NieR team is only available for a limited time. Please factor that into your considerations.
Even if you can only dedicate a certain amount of BC during Untold Naraka, the re-run banner carries over the Untold Naraka banner pity. In addition, the re-run should also offer you 30 Shards of any character you acquire through gacha banners, which would net you an instant SS-Rank 2B. If worst comes to worst, you may want to consider rolling for 2B as much as you can in Untold Naraka and then finishing your pity during the re-run if you didn't get her.
Can I skip 2B and just use A2 and 9S, since those two are free?
Without 2B, both A2 and 9S are significantly weaker as their passive buffs will be cut in half. The NieR team functions much better as a full set. That said, you may need to split them in some scenarios, such as Babel Tower, to take advantage of A2's capabilities as a solo character; you may even mix her with characters like Rosetta: Rigor. Most of the time, however, they function as a team. Consider 2B a must-have if you want to make the most of 9S and A2.
Can you spend Phantom Pain Scars on Shards for NieR characters?
The NieR team has a much smaller price tag than any other S-Rank in the game. This isn't to say that they are cheap by any means, but they are certainly more affordable for the average spender. This is largely due to gacha bonuses and all the Shard packs being sold in the Shop.
What is the cheapest way get A2 to SSS-Rank?
- 328 RC Bundle: 30 A2 Shards
- 30 RC Bundle: 10 A2 Shards
- Event Shop (Free): 50 A2 Shards
- As a part of the event, when you evolve a NieR character to SS-Rank, you receive 30 Shards for the evolved character as a bonus
With that in mind, follow these steps to get SSS-Rank A2:
- Spend up to 10,500 BC acquiring a copy of A2 from gacha (for every 10-pull you do on a NieR banner, you receive 750 NieR-specific event Tickets)
- IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU PULL HER FROM GACHA FIRST; OTHERWISE SHE TAKES 50 SHARDS TO UNLOCK AND IT WILL COST YOU EXTRA
- Spend 358 RC on the two A2 Shard bundles in the cash shop
- Earn the 50 A2 Shards from the Untold Naraka event shop
- Evolve A2 to SS-Rank, which will reward you with an additional 30 Shards
- You should now have the required amount of Shards to evolve A2 to SSS-Rank
As a reminder, here are the RC prices in the Global version:
What is the cheapest way to SSS+ the NieR team?
- Use the SSS-Rank A2 method from the above question during Untold Naraka; you should have 60 Shards leftover and will need only 120 more Shards to get A2 to SSS+ Rank
- During the re-run, acquire two copies of A2 via gacha to get 60 Shards, and receive an additional 60 Shards as a bonus
2B and 9S:
- During Untold Naraka, get both of them to SSS-Rank via gacha
- With 60 Shards leftover for both, acquire two copies of 2B and 9S via gacha to get 60 Shards, and receive an additional 60 Shards as a bonus for each
The monetary cost of SSS+
FOR THIS SECTION, PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT PRICES AND/OR BUNDLES MAY CHANGE COMPLETELY FOR THE GLOBAL VERSION.
- A2 Cheapest Total Cost: 358 RC and 31,500 BC
- SSS from original run in Untold Naraka: 10,500 BC for gacha pity, 358 RC packs, and the free 50 event shop Shards
- SSS+ during re-run: Pull two copies via gacha using a maximum of 21,000 BC
- 9S Cheapest Total Cost: 328 RC and 42,000 BC
- SSS from original run in Untold Naraka: Login reward, 328 RC pack, and 21,000 BC for two gacha pities
- SSS+ during re-run: Pull two copies via gacha using a maximum of 21,000 BC
- 2B Cheapest Total Cost: 328 RC and 52,500 BC
- SSS from original run in Untold Naraka: 31,500 BC for three gacha pities and 328 RC pack
- SSS+ during re-run: Pull two copies via gacha using a maximum of 21,000 BC
Please keep in mind that the SSS+ NieR team is not necessary for most players and is only something you should consider if you love NieR: Automata dearly or are a completionist.
The NieR team's effectiveness is subjective and will come down to a variety of factors — their Rank, their weapons, their Memories, and even your own gameplay ability.
What is the bare minimum requirement to make the NieR team powerful?
The following is a guideline of what ranks and weapons you can add to strengthen the NieR team, with #1 being the weakest and #6 being the strongest. Each number assumes you also have what was mentioned in the previous number (for example, #3 assumes you have #2's SSS-Rank A2 with 6★ weapon, in addition to SS-Rank 9S).
- Base NieR:
All S-Rank with 5★ weapons
- A2 Solo Carry:
SSS-Rank A2 with 6★ weapon
- A2 Solo Carry (Enhanced):
SS-Rank 9S (Blue Orb/QTE gives Physical DMG increase by 10% for 8 seconds to A2/2B)
- Full Team Carry:
9S 6★ weapon and up to SSS-Rank 2B with her 6★ weapon
- Full Team Carry (Enhanced):
- Full Team Carry (Ultimate):
SSS+ Rank A2 and SSS+ Rank A2 (and SSS+ Rank 9S if possible)
Please note that as it is just a guideline, this is not the only way to measure the strength of the NieR team and should not be taken as gospel.
What is the NieR team's main role?
- The NieR team has a strong performance in Physical War Zone
- On release, they are even strong in off-element (non-Physical) War Zone
- Up until the debut of Liv: Solaeter in The Survival Lucem, the NieR team is often stronger than Fire teams in the Fire stages of War Zone
- SSS-Rank A2 with her Signature Weapon is enough for Fire War Zone before the Fire team's revival
- While other future characters handle off-element and even Physical War Zone for a few patches in the future, The Ark Beyond patch re-balances the game mode to discourage the use of off-element teams, and the NieR team becomes the go-to for Physical War Zone once again
- The NieR team is always strong here
- A2 has extremely good survivability
- The NieR team is not necessary here, however, as any veteran player can max Babel Tower even without the NieR Team
Phantom Pain Cage: Ultimate Zone
- Phantom Pain Cage Ultimate bosses are divided into "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" bosses
- The NieR team does amazingly well against Gen 1 bosses but horrible against Gen 2 (stat-related reasons)
- Norman War is an important (future) game mode that is made much easier in Physical stages with the NieR team
- Comparatively, a Physical team with SS-Rank Lucia: Crimson Abyss and SS-Rank Rosetta: Rigor can feel a lot less pleasant to use
On release, SSS-Rank NieR team (all three characters at SSS-Rank) can basically do every single War Zone stage regardless of element as well as a majority of Phantom Pain Cage: Ultimate Zone fights. Note: skill and proper builds are also necessary for this; SSS-Ranking all three characters is not an instant win on its own.
What does the NieR team's future look like?
- About six months after Untold Naraka, Liv: Solaeter releases in The Survival Lucem
- Notably, Liv: Solaeter makes the Fire team good, which removes the need to bring NieR to Fire War Zone
Recitative de Fantasia's Rework of War Zone
- During the patch Recitative de Fantasia, there is a huge, stat-related War Zone rework; this greatly impacts all Physical characters and severely weakens them in off-element War Zone stages
- Emphasis: ALL Physical characters are hurt by these changes
- Physical becomes the worst team in War Zone at this point and the easiest zone to go off-element on
- As of Her Last Bow in CN, equal investment Fire team scores similar (and even higher) compared to equal investment NieR team, but that is very far into the future and a result of great new additions to the Fire team (Roland: Theatrical Flame, Liv: Solaeter, Nanami: Remote Star)
The Ark Beyond's Rework of War Zone
- Once again War Zone sees some changes that impact the NieR team; this time, the change makes characters of the appropriate element get a significant damage boost
- In essence, this discourages the use of off-element War Zone runs
- As a result, the NieR team becomes a great choice in Physical War Zone
In summary, the NieR team will be one of the best squads for about 6 months after they are introduced. The NieR re-run will most likely be followed by The Survival Lucem patch, which will power up the Fire Team. The War Zone rework happens after that, which weakens all Physical War Zone teams. Then in The Ark Beyond, off-element War Zone becomes bad and NieR shines in Physical stages once again.
Is the NieR team restricted from use in certain content?
How does the NieR team compare with the other Physical team?
Regardless of which way opinions swing on this matter, it is a fact that having more characters is better in PGR. There are many gameplay modes where having multiple teams is important, and you will often find yourself wishing you had even more characters. You will likely find yourself using both the standard Physical team as well as the NieR team.
The Physical team featuring Lucia: Crimson Abyss and Rosetta: Rigor has extremely high burst damage. They do not have the consistent, non-stop DPS that the NieR team has when compared Rank for Rank. In a drawn-out fight, NieR wins out. When it comes to extremely fast and high damage, the other Physical team wins.
It is important to emphasize that different teams have different strengths.
2B, 9S, and A2 will all receive their own alternate coatings. Lucia: Crimson Abyss may receive a Drakengard-inspired one as well.
How do I get each NieR character's coatings?
- 2B's Revealing Outfit: 68 RC
- A2's Destroyer Outfit: 3000 currency in the event shop (free)
- 9S's Young Man Outfit: 14-Day login reward (free)
If you miss the free coatings the first time around, your only option will be to pay for them during the re-run.
2B was censored in the CN version — will she be censored in Global?
Please note that 2B's alternate coating, Revealing Outfit, is slightly different in PGR compared to its appearance in NieR: Automata. In both its CN and JP releases, parts of the outfit are torn and damaged, while other parts have more coverage (specifically around the bust and back of the underwear). Because this design direction was used for both the CN and JP releases, it's expected that this coating will remain this way for the Global release as well.
Will Lucia: Crimson Abyss' Drakengard-inspired coating release during Untold Naraka?
- In CN, this coating for Lucia: Crimson Abyss released during Untold Naraka
- In TW, the coating released during Echo Aria instead
- In JP, the coating has yet to be released at all
In both CN and TW, this coating was obtained through a coating gacha. Players could choose to either spend 10,000 BC or 328 RC in order to obtain special red coating gacha tickets. These tickets could in turn be used on the coating banner.
While the 10,000 BC option will allow even F2P players to participate, the 328 RC option is a significantly better deal for those willing to spend.